Friday, July 24, 2009

Am I Social? Maybe

Since I was a kid, I had always had this feeling of being someone out of the circle. It was not like I was isolated or different; It’s just that I had always lacked any kind of social skills. No matter how much I try, I would always end up feeling awkward whenever it came to socializing formally. As I look back on my life till now, I do had loads of friends, and many of them were my very close friends. Actually I had many best friends in my life during my different phases. With some I was for very long time and with some it was just a small companionship, but a strong one though. But in the end I had always been unable to stay in touch with all these friends. It was again my total lack of social skills and failure to try and initiate a communication. Then came the Web 2.0 era and the dawn of Orkut and Facebook, which is rapidly becoming very essential part of this generation. These Social Networking sites have given me the opportunity to get in touch with all my long lost friends with a click of mouse. Leaving a scrap or writing on their wall is proving to be very effective way to get in touch with them. It’s only with help of these social networking sites that I am able to wish "Happy Birthday" to even my primary school classmate whom I haven’t met for last 15 years. These sites have really given us the power to reconnect with the people of our past and be in constant touch with our current friends. It has empowered our generation to be in constant limelight of our friends. When you meet a kid from your high school with whom you hardly talked, on Orkut after a decade through your common network, you do realize that he is he was not that bad a person back than after all. This can prove to be a good healing tool for people. It enables every one of us in understanding the joy of sharing and being in touch. As for me I hope it enables me to get in touch with my buddies more regularly (fingers crossed)....

No comments: